Tuesday 20 December 2011

The Visual Merchandiser

Name: Cristina P
Age: 29
Birthplace: Enfield, North London
Where do you live now? East London

Education: 10 GCSE's, 3 A levels (Art, Theatre Design, Media Studies). BTEC foundation art and design (Saint Martins) BA honors Costume design (LCF, first class honours), MA Illustration (Camberwell).

What was your very first job? My first job was in retail as a Christmas temp in Monsoon. I took the job after finishing my degree and feeling like I didn't know what I wanted to do.

What is your current job? I work for Paul Smith as Assistant Area Visual Merchandiser for the UK.

What has been your best job? That's a hard question; I've had a few retail jobs since my first job at Monsoon. I really hated being on the shop floor, it never suited me. But looking back I've taken some really valuable experiences from every retail job I've had, even if I couldn’t see it at the time.

What was your dream job as a child? I have been drawing from a very young age. However I distinctly remember wanting to be a secretary!? When I got older I really wanted to be a fashion design or actress... in the end I merged the latter and went into theatre design.

What is your dream job now? I dream of just being able to draw full time but I think I'll always want more than that.

How will you achieve your dream job? Keep drawing and work on my confidence.What is the best advice you have been given? ‘Mix with people better than yourself and pay the bill' was my grandfather's saying. I've always remembered these words and applied them to every area of my life.

What is the best advice you’d give? Take advice from other people but in the end do what you want and feel is right!

Who is your inspiration/role model? My uncle (a poet)

What is the one thing you would change about yourself or the world? Currently, I wish I was more confident in putting my illustration forward. Confidence is something I have loads of in my day job but is something I need to build on when it comes to my illustration. For the world wish people had better manners and cared more.
What is the key to a successful life/career? Confidence.
Recommend someone you know to take this interview: My friend Stephanie L-C.

1 comment:

Charlene said...

Good to see you on here Cristina! Xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...