Monday 14 May 2012

Hard work

Not a happy bunny
After the glorious sunniness that was my birthday. Today I'm being brought back to reality with a short, sharp, thud.


Being a mother is hard work. Hard, hard, hard, hard work. 


As I type this my daughters are bickering for the millionth time today - *yawn* and I've just about had enough of the squealing, shouting, moaning and crying. My son has had the odd whinge and crying fit too but that was easily solved with a bottle of milk and some food. Boys are so different.


My three year old on the other hand is such a little madam. She is by far the cheekiest and most challenging of my children. (I think it's a second child thing because my mum seems to have or has the same issue with my little sister - sorry sis.) 

 My angelic faced daughter can be a complete nightmare sometimes and her behaviour pushes me to the edge of my parenting ability. Lately the terrible two's seem to have transformed into the equally if not worse tedious three's. The number of meltdowns this child has had in the two weeks she has been three is a joke. Albeit an unfunny one. 


Most of the time she is completely sweet and funny and does as she is told and other times she will look me square in the eye with all the confidence and will in the world and point blank refuse to do as she has been asked. 



When she was younger I believed it was her age that was responsible for my inability to reason with her, now I know that not to be the case and have come to realise that she is simply a headstrong, defiant and intelligent child. She can see through anything. 



If her dad and I threaten to take something away or stop her from doing something if she doesn't do A, B or C, she knows it is a threat and I have often overheard her say to her big sister 'Mummy/Daddy didn't take away such and such or stop us from doing such and such last time, so we can do that if we want' Can you believe it? Three?

Deep down I am rather impressed that my three year old daughter has the tenacity to see through things and challenge them, but as it's her dad and I on the receiving end we need to manage it or she'll be running rings around us in no time.

Since she can quite clearly identify if a threat is empty or not, we have had to be extra vigilant and make sure that we follow through on everything we say.  It's tough because you don't want to deny your children, but if their behaviour is not up to scratch and they refuse to listen then it's the only language that is understood in our household these days. 




It's draining, frustrating, repetitive and boring, but I guess that's the beauty of parenting. I'm trying hard to keep my cool but it's not easy. All the bribing, disciplining, shouting and pleading is incredibly trying but hey this too shall pass. 


I hope.

9 comments:

Liane said...

I'm sorry you had a tough time today (hugs). I know what you mean about the second sibling thing. My 22-month-old is a (lovable) tyrant in comparison to her 6-year-old sister. They hug and kiss and then the baby bites and scratches when she's had enough. I also get the looks and acts of defiance...but I'd rather a bit of personality than a timid child. I hope tomorrow is a bit better x

Unknown said...

I hear you on the timid child front and I love that my children are so full of personality and zeal but sometimes I just want to stop repeating myself over and over and over.

Right now I've told them to go to bed, but they're choosing to dance around and ignore me. urgh. Don't think it helps that I'm feeling tired and fed up, so not on top of things like I normally would be.

There is definitely a second child phenomena. I definitely feel bad for my eldest sometimes you must do too.

Thanks for the virtual hugs. I need them lol x

MummaG said...

I feel your pain, I can already see my number 2 is going to be a bit of a handful but it can't last forever, when they fall asleep you'll be able to smile at them again x

Unknown said...

MummaG so true and tomorrow is another day.

They are all asleep now and look so sweet. It's hard to believe there was so much noise and chaos only a few hours earlier....xx

Mammasaurus said...

Oh they keep you on your toes that's for sure!
Ozzy is 3 now and just starting the whole 'testing my limits' thing. mainly I think so he can see where the boundaries lie.
Mind you he usually goes through a monsterly behaviour phase at around the same time as he makes a big developmental leap such as talking , walking etc.
x

Rebecca said...

It is the hardest job in the world! Mums definitely need to be on top of their game as children spot every little inconsistency!

Actually Mummy... said...

I can properly believe you! Are you sure her name isn't GG? Cos we've been there too, and we're still going aged 7, but with more eyerolls ;)

Unknown said...

Thanks for all your comments. Children eh? They most certainly teach you a thing or three about patience.

Unknown said...

..Or lack of, as is often the case ha.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...