Wednesday 20 June 2012

Inspirational Interview - Lovefro

It's been a while since I've had an Inspirational Interview on the blog. It's not for want of trying (everyone is so busy with life and making things happen at the moment, it's crazy. In a good way of course). I love hearing the stories of how people are turning their dreams and aspirations into reality. To be able to share those experiences on my blog and spread inspiration, motivation and encouragement really excites me.

I'm currently on my own journey to self discovery, attempting to find 'that' or 'those' little thing/s that really make me tick creatively. This blog and my natural hair journey are two things which have really unlocked my creative juices and seemed to have opened up the floodgates of endless possibilities. 

As a blogger it goes without saying that I love reading other blogs, and it was whilst getting my daily fix of  Natural Belle that I came across Jacqueline Laing of Lovefro. Jacqueline is the brains behind a workshop entitled The Business of Natural Hair which takes place in London on 14 July. This event really struck a chord with me, so needless to say I've purchased my ticket. So on the 14 July that's where I'll be. It promises to be a truly educational and inspirational event and I'm super excited to be going. 

I caught up with Jacqui to discover more about her and her business Lovefro, the motivation behind the workshop and why she thinks natural hair has become such big business.

Name: Jacqueline Laing

Age: …..uhmmmm put it this way….the Wombles and Tiswas, were the highlight of my week!

Tell me a bit about yourself and how Lovefro came to be? Where do I start…? Well I am a graduate in Theology and training to be a minister of religion, within my denomination. Outside of that, I am working on developing my natural hair brand, ‘Lovefro’, with the view to bringing out a range of products, in the not too distant future.  I love running my own company, find baking therapeutic, and enjoy contemplating life.  I’m always seeking to understand how to live more successfully and meaningfully in his life.


The choice to go natural has really taken off all over the world. Especially in the US and UK. Why do you think this is? Well, to seek to isolate the growth in the natural hair movement, to one reason, would, in reality be unwise.  I think people transition or big chop (B.C) for many reasons, and as a community, we should accept and respect that. I think a better way of determining market growth, is to see it as an awakening, a sense of coming of age in the black community; being more at ease with self/personal identity, and understanding that beauty, is more than one thing.


I decided to go natural because I was fed up of the poor quality of my hair despite expensive relaxers. I'd simply had enough. Plus I wanted to be an example for my young children and embrace my natural kinks? What influenced your decision to go natural? Actually, I had wanted to go natural for may years, but just didn't have the courage to. But the final decision to transition came when, I just couldn’t afford salon hair care any more, and so my journey began. I B.C'd 10 months ago, after transitioning for 11 months, when my hair began to lock!!!


What is your hair regime? What regime?  Lol…really…I don’t have a regime, I wash my hair as and when.   ‘When’, I do wash my hair, I detangle with a mix of oils and conditioner - TRESemme at the moment.  Wash with a mix of bentonite clay, coconut milk, and avocado oil. Deep condition with Organic Hair Mayonnaise, mixed with more oil/mayonnaise, rinse with ACV (Apple Cider vinegar), then moisturize and seal with a lovely organic moisturizer and pomade that I have been toying with.


What are your favourite/'go to' hair products at the moment? If anything, it would be the Bentonite clay, TRESemme Naturals Moisturising conditioner, avocado oil/olive oil and perm rods!!


You are holding a workshop entitled 'The Business of Natural Hair Workshop, on 14th July. Tell me what those who wish to attend should expect? Well, apart from goody-bags, attendees will come away, inspired and motivated, to build their business on a solid foundation, and/or strengthen their existing business, by understanding the market further, and identifying and honing in on their ideal customer. In addition, they will ADD VALUE to their business by:

1.  Having a better understanding of consumer attitude to the UK Natural Hair Market
2.  Gaining valuable insight into the Cosmetic/Beauty industry as a whole
3.  Learning how to capitalize on the opportunity
4.  Understanding how to build a business around their strengths
5.  Knowing how to develop market research on a budget,
6.  Knowing how to formulate questions that draw out the right information from potential/existing customers.

Plus much more….book now…places are limited: http://www.thebusinessofnaturalhair.com

Why do you think it has taken black people so long to get properly established in the black beauty industry? (I.e. manufacturing and selling products) I think a large part of our failure to capitalize in this or any industry is our inability, to see ourselves as owners/manufacturers, as opposed to simply being consumers. I also think its a combination of ‘not knowing how to’ penetrate the cosmetic industry, a sense of being unable to financially compete, with the large manufacturers and a perception or mind-set, dominated by ideas that the beauty industry is the domain of other nationalities.

Who is your motivation and inspiration? Well, on a public level it has to be Oprah Winfrey, Margaret Thatcher (although I’m not a Tory); I quite like Tony Blair, and academics such as Dr Robert Beckford. On a private level, it is those one or two individuals, who have proved to be ‘successful’ in church  life, family life or married life, my former tutor, Graham.





No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...