Thursday 12 July 2012

My natural hair - What I am learning


In the 18 months since my last chemical relaxer I have learnt a lot about my natural hair. I have learnt about its texture, its thickness, how well or not so well it reacts to certain shampoo's, conditioners, oils, butters and moisturisers. I still have a lot to learn, especially when it comes to styling, but that's mainly because I'm at that annoying halfway house stage.

The mum bun has been my go to style for quite some months, but I'm getting bored of it so I'm starting to experiment with different things. Last week I tried some curl rods but the outcome wasn't great. I will definitely try again as my hair gets longer.

Yesterday I tried a wash and go for the very first time and I was really quite pleased with the results. I washed with Curls Unleashed sulphate free shampoo and conditioned with TRESemme Naturals moisturising conditioner. I allowed my hair to drip dry for 15 mins then I added Beautiful Textures curl defining pudding. My hair was still very damp, so it soaked up the pudding. I finished with some Jamaican black castor oil, to seal in the moisture.

I loved the way the defining pudding accentuated my coils. I left my hair to air dry and after a few hours it still felt soft and moisturised without feeling greasy.

I must admit I haven't felt comfortable about wearing my hair out, because I don't like drawing attention to myself and a big ole fro would definitely do that. This wash and go however has made me feel differently. It was so quick and easy and completely fuss free. I would feel confident enough to leave the house rocking this style. And in actual fact, yesterday was the first time in 33 years that I have been out in public with my hair OUT. That, for me, is a breakthrough in itself and so liberating. Pat on the back. Sounds crazy because it's such a basic thing, when you think about it. This natural hair stuff is deep. Anyway before I forget here are the things I have learnt about my hair so far.

My hair is fine. I don't know about the type. Frankly I find all the 4a,b,c,z stuff quite confusing and unhelpful, so I don't concern myself with it. Whilst transitioning I used to think it was quite thick and very dry. But since cutting off all my chemically straightened ends (big chopping) I have noticed that it doesn't really tangle easily, and even when it does I just have to spritz with water and detangle with either my fingers or a comb. I prefer my fingers.

My sister often tells me she has to wash her hair in sections or plaits to avoid tangles and make the whole wash process easier for her. She has lovely thick coily hair. I find washing really easy and quite enjoy it. I don't need to wash in sections or plaits. Maybe this will change as it grows longer, maybe not. It'll be interesting to find out.

My hair responds well to olive oil and Jamaican black castor oil. When applied to my damp hair they leave it feeling very soft and looking very shiny.

I twist my hair most nights to keep it stretched. Also speeds up styling for the next day.

I don't always cover my hair with a scarf at night, because i'm either too tired to care or I just can't find the thing. My satin pillowcase, (a pressie from li'l sis. Thanks sis) works wonders and really helps keep frizz to a minimum.

I am yet to master a twist out. I am finding products which greatly help with definition, but my hair can be quite fluffy and flyaway, so wash and go's have been more successful so far.

Speaking of wash and go's here are some pics of my first ever attempt yesterday, that I then wore out shopping.














This is not a sponsored or review post. Just me, sharing my personal hair journey with you.

8 comments:

Michelle Reeves - Bod for tea said...

Ooo it looks fab! Love the sound of the hair pudding... where did you get it?

Unknown said...

Bod for tea Thankyou.

I got the pudding in a goody bag from the Beautiful Textures launch party I went to recently, but you can buy it in all good Afro/Caribbean hair shops. All products in the range are under £5 too so good value for money.

AfroDeity said...

Wow, Your wash and go style looks awesome. Love it!

AliceHarold said...

Your hair looks gorgeous! I love it!

You might be interested in looking at my friend Miggy's blog, she's also charting her natural hair journey after years of extensions and relaxers: http://www.miggylikestheinternet.com/category/beauty-2/

Unknown said...

Leilu, thank you : )

Unknown said...

Alice thank you. I'll definitely be checking out Miggy's blog too.

Unknown said...

Comment from MummaG *I accidentally deleted before approving. Doh!*

Looks lovely! I tried a wash and go style as you suggested and it's much better than my normal afro, thanks xxx

Unknown said...

Aww glad it worked out for you. I definitely think I'll be doing more of them x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...