Tuesday 14 August 2012

Bedtime

Well. Well. Well. I am chuffed to bits with my little man. At the tender age of 14 months he has begun to tell me when he's ready for bed *air punch.* (Well he can't speak properly yet, but you know, mummy intuition and all that).

I've been noticing for a few days now that he doesn't really like being held anymore when he's going to sleep. So as soon as he starts grizzling I put him in his cot with a bottle and he's well away.

Tonight's bedtime was extra special. I was settling the girls down and he was showing signs of being tired and actually climbed onto his cot. I lifted him in and he snuggled down, but the girls chatting and giggling woke him up, so I took him into the living room with me and gave him a cuddle. Within minutes he fidgeted off of my lap, looked at me and made a sound; 'uu-hh' which spoke volumes. I'm getting accustomed to his little ways of communicating with me. He is babbling and making so many sounds these days, bless him, but the words haven't began to formulate yet.

Anyway he got down off of my lap, made his little sound and looked at me as if to say 'come on Mummy, I'm ready for bed'. So I took his little hand in mine and we walked to his cot. I let go of his hand and stood there. I knew he wanted to get in but I was curious as to what he would do next, without me doing it for him. Well he promptly began to scale his cot so I picked him up and put him in. He snuggled down for a second time and in the blink of an eye he was out like a light. Wow.

It wasn't so long ago I was dreaming about this moment. When I was in the midst of endless interrupted nights. I even blogged about it. ( I would link to that particularly post, but I'm still blogging on my phone. Yaaaawn.) Now here I am on the other side. I knew it would come. Both my girls were the same. At 14 months something clicked and sleeping through the night was something they began to truly understand. There were much more grumblings with them though. My little man has been a little gem.

I love my kids. Even more now sleep has been reintroduced into my life. Yes! Thank the Lord.

Now if only I could get the late night blogging sessions under control. Natch.

6 comments:

Charlene said...

23Awwww!!!! Baby boy is so cute & clever! love him! x

Moderne Meid said...

What a great moment and oh so sweet. I'm glad little man can now 'tell' you when he's tired x

KJB Pony Adventures said...

Ah Natalie that is amazing. What a beautiful little boy. Youngling has started doing the same by telling me to go upstairs now which is fab as I have been trying to keep up as late as possible since he started refusing to go to bed. Ha! Fingers crossed he keeps it up hey.
Take care, Kate
(aka Makeshift Mummy from www.facebook.com/MakeshiftMummy)

Unknown said...

Char I know, he is such a good boy x

Unknown said...

Sieta me too : ) x

Unknown said...

Thanks Kate. And well done to Youngling too. It's such a relief when they turn that corner.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...